Mission Costa Rica
Mission Costa Rica 2017 Report
The Mission Costa Rica Team left Pennsylvania on 19 January 2017 for a one week trip to CEDCAS in Heredia, Costa Rica to support mission of CECAS led by missionary Lillian Solt (United World Mission). Six team members from Calvary BFC joined up with eight team members from Ebenezer BFC (Bethlehem) and mission project coordinators Chris and Beckie Merrick (Bible Fellowship Church Board of Missions).
God provided a reoccurring theme for our week – Acts 2:42-47 – the importance of community among believers. These verses were the basis for the worship services at two unrelated churches we attended and a common theme for several pre-planned devotions provided nightly by our own team members. Our team was a blend of two congregations that came alongside CEDCAS and the Costa Rican Congregation of Santo Tomas. Each person contributed his or her talents to complete the many tasks that we undertook.
The team of 14 people carried in excess of 650 pounds of school, medical and building supplies for CEDCAS. Members of the team completed small maintenance tasks at the CEDCAS clinic and many us participated in the Saturday morning Seeds of Love program for the children of the Guararí shanty town. This program received funding from our Dare to Care Offerings for 2015 and 2016
At Santo Tomas, projects included:
• Deoxidizing, cleaning and painting over 1000 square feet of metal fencing surrounding the Santo Tomas buildings.
• Digging a ditch across the road in front of the church for drain pipes and a drywell to accommodate rainwater diverted away from the building. And of course, filling the ditch with concrete and stone to ensure the pipe would not be crushed under the weight of cars and trucks.
• Building a two-story metal storage shed in the gymnasium. The project included roofing, structural welding, painting and temporary fastening of the sides with sheet metal screws.
• Creating two concrete handicapped ramps for better access into the sanctuary.
• Assisting with VBS for children ages 3 to 12– specifically with crafts
The ladies of Santo Tomas cooked wonderful hot lunches for us each day we worked at the church. Several of the Santo Tomas elders provided their labor skills as well.
Our leisure time activities included a tour the city of San Jose, eating local cuisine and even spending a day at an all-inclusive resort
The support and prayers of the congregation were so appreciated. The planning for next year's trip has already started! The dates will be available soon and as of now, we are seeking to combine once again with Ebenezer BFC. Details will follow shortly.
Calvary BFC Team Members: Frank Henderson, Beth Szilagyi, Rob Muller, Samuel Janney and Mike & Jody Rennie.